The castle of Hämeenlinna is first referred to in sources, along with the castles of Turku and Viipuri, in 1308 with the term hus. In 1311 Novgorodian troops attacked "the castle of Vanai", but were unable to conquer it. In early 14th century the military role of Hameenlinna castle diminished. In 1496, however, a Russian military campaign extended as far as the environs of the castle. The castle passed to King Gustavus Vasa from Danish troops in 1523 without a battle.
During the 1560s and '70s it was reinforced with the addition of two rondells. King Gustavus II. Adolphus visited the castle in 1614 and in 1639 the settlement next to the castle was given a town charter. Hameenlinna castle became Finland's largest military depot in the 18th century and a prison in 1836. Restoration works began in 1953. (Kari Uotila)
Häme Castle the oldest building steps take place in turn of 13th-14th. To that buildingperiod belongs stone circle wall, and behind a wall was built in the 1300's residence and outbuildings, and a large gate tower.
Mostly likely in 15th started a brick castle-building phase, in which the context of main castle was largely present form in the upper layers, and residential facilities. At the same time the gate tower was chanched to living tower.
Some parts of the outer bailey has already begun in the 1300's and continued through the 1400's to the 1500's until the beginning. Zwinger-type narrow bailey had two towers and a gatetower. (Kari Uotila)
1.,Standing medieval main castle (brick) and later outer bailey (18 c.) In the main castle three floors and earlier gate tower. Included storerooms, church, living rooms and some residential rooms. Big restoration has been done in rooms. (Kari Uotila)
Häme Castle, the history of the research started in the laten 19th century, and the most important phase of the research took place in 1950-70's. Together with building archaeological studies was made some excavations in outer bailey but material is not yet deeply analyced. (Kari Uotila)