Raasepori castle is mentioned for the first time in sources in 1378 and its outer bailey in 1427. In the 1465-67 Karl Knutsson (Bonde) held a sumptuous royal court at Raasepori, and from 1468 until 1483 its castellan was Lars Axelsson (Tott). Along with Finland's other castles it passed into the hands of Gustavus Vasa in 1523. Raasepori took on a secondary role, as administration began to focus on the town of Helsinki founded in 1550, and the castle was finally abandoned in 1553. Investigations of the ruined castle began in 1889. (Kari Uotila)
Raseborg Castle in Snappertuna was built under the command of Bo Joninpoika Grip presumably in the 1370s. The surrounding wall of this castle which was built in stages on a glaciated rock is in the shape of a horse shoe. Three outer baileys were connected to the main castle in 15th century. The construction of the large round tower was carried out in the late 15th century. (Kari Uotila)
Standing ruins to 2-3 floors in main castle, lower ruins in three outer baileys. One roundtower in main castle and two in outer bailey. (Kari Uotila)
The first restoration was begun in 1890, and thereafter Raseborg has been renovated several times. Today the the National Board of Antiquities has definitely put a stop to further measures after having completed a preservation in 1988 that lasted for twelve years.
In summer of 2008 a two-year research and development project began, Alla tiders Raseborg (Raseborg of all ages). Already in the initial stages of the excavations interesting finds were made, which cast new light on the history of the castle and on the nearby medieval merchant town known as Tuna. (Kari Uotila)